For a unique men’s style, nothing says cool and trendy like a braided beard. If you want to style your facial hair, braiding your beard can offer a stylish look that will stand out in any crowd. Whether you have a short or long beard, there are many different types of braided beards to experiment with. You can even braid your goatee or mustache, although most guys like to grow out a badass Viking beard. With proper care and maintenance, you can grow your beard long enough to wear these braided beard styles.
How To Braid A Beard
While there are several braided styles to choose from, the technique for braiding your beard is easy and simple. Once you learn the basic step-by-step process, you’ll be able to braid a variety of new styles. For starters, you’ll need at least 3 to 4 inches of length and full facial hair without patches. Plaited beards are created by weaving strands together, which means your beard should be long enough to work with.
To do a beard braid:
- You should wash and condition your beard with a quality shampoo and conditioner. Make sure to gently towel-dry, apply beard oil and gently brush or comb your beard to straighten and detangle.
- Separate your beard into 3 equal sections. Where you start to divide your facial hair depends on the style you want. For a Viking or French braided beard, start at the chin and work down. Make sure the strands are of equal fullness. If you’re inexperienced, tie a small rubber band at the base of each section to make it easier to handle.
- To start braiding your beard, take the section in either your left or right hand and pull it over the middle strand.
- Then, take the opposite and available part and pull it over the middle one.
- Repeat the previous steps over and over until you’ve completely braided your beard.
Most braided beard styles can be achieved by simply interweaving and overlapping sections of facial hair. Make your braids unique by twisting your beard and adding beads, hair ties, and other accessories to design a new style. Long beards naturally allow for more customization, although short facial hair can look rugged and masculine with the right styling. Experiment with different ideas and let your creativity inspire you.